Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Summers In Miami

Miami may seem like a popular destination to those who don't live in the immediate area. Sunshine, warm waters, great nightlife, and a cultural melting pot sound inviting to many. The summer season can be as wonderful as this all sounds but to a Miami native, it is a different story.

Being born and raised in Miami, Fl, "Summer" has a different meaning to me than most. Summer means tourists every where you turn, sun burns, mosquitoes, and crazier traffic. I, unlike most others who live in this city, am not a fan of Summer. For one, the heat is unbearable. Our winter temperatures here are what most would call Spring or even Summer throughout other parts of our country. By the time that August rolls around, you could fry an egg on our sidewalks.

Though I may seem totally pessimistic about living here during these next couple of months, I am writing this to hold myself to a promise. I promised myself to make the most of this summer. I hope that in the near future I will be relocating and starting new chapters in my life. Although I have dreamed of moving away, I am determined to find the beauty and fun that everyone around me seems to see before I leave. I'll be looking for new things to do, hopefully inexpensive ones, local activities, things unique to Miami.

I live my life through lists of goals; this summer, will be no different. I'll start with a list of things recommended to tourists and see what inspiration I get from there. For starters, I'll be trying to complete everything on this list:

  1. South Beach
2. Miami Metro Zoo

3. Seaquarium

4. Everglades

5. Parrot Jungle Island (I'll need very good company for this- I have a fear of birds)

6. Monkey Jungle

7. Coral Castle

8. Design District

9. Visit the Freedom Tower

10. Holocaust Museum

Looks like I'll be busy. If you're a local or even a tourist that found a favorite spot, please feel free to recommend things to add! I'll be posting pictures and follow ups as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment