Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hello Again

Exactly one month later, I'm back to writing. I think part of my reason for being absent was because I didn't know how to follow that last post. I didn't expect to share things that were so personal to me.

Either way, here I am.

This past month or so has been an exciting one. I've made some big decisions and am trying to sort out my life. For one, I decided not to apply for Grad School. Instead, I decided to join AmeriCorps. I am not sure which program it is that I would like to do within AmeriCorps, and have at least 9 applications out right now, but I am very excited about this. I guess you could say that this brought on by my inability to decide what it is that I want to do with my life, but I look at it as a way to give back (and buy myself some time, I'll own up to it!).

Though I was really excited about these possibilities, I quickly realized that the living stipend that they provide their volunteers with is really just not enough. At least, it isn't enough in most states. I was first interested in a job in Rhode Island. Rhode Island, though, is a very expensive state. I calculated that they only way I'd be able to make that budget work would be to get a second job, leave my car in Miami, and get a roommate.

The roommate situation was not one that fazed me as I have been living on campus for the past 4 years and am used to sharing a living space. The second job thing worried me though. I've never actually HAD to do that, I've done it in the past but just to earn extra cash. I don't know if my sanity could withstand being that far away from home (yes, I'd eventually miss it) and having to become a workaholic.

There is one very exciting aspect of all this though- getting out! I've been dying to move out of Miami (I know, I know, it's not normal. Whatever!) for a very long time now and this is a great way to do that. I will admit that I will most likely end up in Oklahoma-the cheapest state in the country- risking my life with their tornadoes -an average of 54 a year- just to be able to make ends meet.

Oklahoma- talk about a culture shock! If this is the case, I foresee this blog taking a whole new direction. Get excited, I know I am!

The only other option that I am looking at right now is a full time salaried position with Habitat for Humanity. I am going to work on that resume and give it a shot because it seems like something that I would really enjoy and that I already have some experience in. I gotta say, I see a trend! Now that I have just let life happen I am starting to see a little nook of the world that I belong in.

If there is anyone out there that has thought about or has been a part of AmeriCorps, please let me know! I'd love to hear your stories and learn about your experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment